Saturday 18 May 2013

Final version of Artefact 3

Artefact 3:




Evaluation:

The aim of this artefact is to create a depressing mood to the room. I had researched into depression and the main links that I found were alcohol abuse, smoking, and darkness. I wanted to portray this emotion accurately so I incorporate all of these elements into the environment and then created a questionnaire once it was completed to see if this was successful.
I used the same environment as the previous artefact but this time I changed the composition and lighting. Firstly I had the blanket falling off the bed to show a sign of distress and to show that the person living there doesn’t care about presentation. The second thing I did was modeled alcohol bottles and placed them around the bedroom showing the viewer that he is abusing alcohol which is linked to depression. I have also added a cigarette in an ash tray on the bed to add to the depressing emotion.
As another sign of distress I placed the records on the floor next to the speaker which has fallen on the floor by all of the alcohol bottles, I created another render focusing on these objects as I thought it was an important part of my artefact and it clearly shows the viewer the emotions in the environment.
I showed this artefact to my focus group and I also created a questionnaire asking what type of mood / emotions are portrayed in the environment. The highest response I received was depression. This was a clear indication to me that this artefact portrayed the desired emotion and mood accurately.


Feedback I recived when presenting in front of my focus group:


The image above shows the main comments from my focus group. I took all of these suggestions into mind when amending this artefact. I blurred out the window image so that the view doesnt get distracted and focuses on the rest of the bedroom. I also re created the cigarette smoke within photoshop after experimenting with various methods. I then re positioned the light source outside the window, slightly lower so that you could see the carpet and the alcohol bottles more clearly. I also fixed the bed sheet texture by creating a red fabric material and applying it to the object and fixing the polygons within 3Ds max when the cloth modifier made the cloth object overlap it self. I finally moved the canvas toward the left of the window so that more light came through the window. Below is the before and after images with clear indications of what I have changed:

After fixing my artefact I decided to create a questionnaire to see what people thought about the artefact, mainly to see if people could tell that i'm trying to portray depression within the scene. I created this questionnaire and sent it to people on the multimedia course. Below is a screenshot of the questionnaire:

  


After sending out my questionnaire I saw the results and the depression received the highest number of votes, This was a clear indication to me that my artefact was a success and that the audience really felt the emotions that I wanted to portray. Below is bar chart that I created with the results of this artefact:







No comments:

Post a Comment