Sunday 19 May 2013

Final version of Artefact 4

Artefact 4




Evaluation:

Artefact 4
For my forth artefact I wanted to keep the same environment but see how much it would change if a different lived in the room. I wanted to focus mainly on realism and materials on this artefact by getting as close to real life as possible and to experiment with different textures and models.
When researching into bedrooms I wanted to create a bedroom which would almost be the complete opposite of what I have been creating so far. So with this in mind I decided to create a bedroom for a girl aged 5-7.
When researching girl’s bedrooms the main colours I found were pink/white, and then when I researched the specific age of 5–7 year old girls I found Disney princess characters in the bedrooms painted on the wall. I thought this was a great idea to incorporate into my design as it would straight away tell the viewer that it is a young girl’s bedroom.
When creating this bedroom I started to create my own textures too. For the wallpaper used in the bedroom I created a tillable cupcake pattern on a pink background on Photoshop. This turned out great and bought life into the bedroom. One of the main differences in this bedroom is the bunk-bed which I modelled. I created this and stuck with the pink theme of the bed sheets and applied a wooden texture to the bed frame. Once I created this artefact I wanted to ensure that it was realistic so I created a questionnaire and asked people on the multimedia course if it was realistic and how accurate is the girl’s room portrayed. Overall the results were good. But I also had some comments from people saying that I should apply bump map to the bed frame which I have now done to add to the effect of realism.




Once I created this artefact I created a questionnaire. Screen shot below:



I sent out this questionnaire asking how realistic my render was as I was focusing this artefact on realism. The second question I asked was how accurately was the girls bedroom portrayed. I had also left a comment box at the end of the questionnaire for any further comments on how I could improve this render. The results of this questionnaire were quite good as "9" received the most votes on a scale of 1-10 on how realistic was my render and also my second question most people voted "10" when asking them how well I portrayed the girls bedroom. Results below:


One of the main comments that I received from the questionnaire was that I needed to add bump map texture to the bed frame to make it look more realistic. Another comment that I received was that the rug on the floor looked slightly raised and needed to be completely flat on the floor. I addressed them issues and applied a wood grain texture to the bed frame and made the rug completely flat on the floor.

Once I fixed them problems |I posted my renders on various 3D forums and also I tweeted my renders on twitter to specific 3D artists and companies. As expected I didn't get any replies from the biggest companies such as Pixar and Disney, but I thought id try my luck. On the other hand I did get replies on a forum called 'Indigo.' I created a poll on the form asking these professionals how realistic my render was, I received a high number of votes saying that I done it well, which I was very please with. People also commented that my bedroom was very stereotypical and I was stereotyping girls. I took this into account and thought that I have to be stereotypical to get my point across and to accurately portray a girls bedroom. 

Below is a screenshot of question that I posted on the forum and also my twitter page where I tweeted my renders:









No comments:

Post a Comment