Sunday 19 May 2013

Final version of Artefact 5

Artefact 5:



Evaluation:

For my final artefact I wanted to focus on close ups and material experiment. I wanted my final artefact stand out from the rest and be slightly different but still relevant. I also wanted to experiment with depth of field.
The original plan was to create a close up of an ash tray with a cigarette on the desk. With depth of field applied to focus on the main object. I firstly created the cigarette and then the ash tray which was simple modelling and some trial and error with applying textures. The next challenge was to create the ash texture which firstly I created in 3ds max by making a splodge shaped object and then applying an ash texture to it inside the ash tray. I then realised that this didn't look and feel realistic enough. I then tried creating different splodge shapes and realised this method doesn’t work. So I decided to render out the scene without any ash then later Photoshop it in. I felt that this was getting closer to the desired effect but still didn’t look realistic.
I then decided to observe a real ashtray and cigarette to see what type of textures I am dealing with. Then I had the idea of using partials within 3ds max to create the ash effect. I done this then exported the ash texture to Photoshop where I used a pattern overlay where I created my own ash texture. I found that this worked the best and gave the most realistic results.
I then created and animated cigarette smoke in after effect to bring this render to life. Overall I am very happy with the outcome of this artefact and have learnt many new techniques which will be useful to me in the future.



Issues:

When creating this artefact the main issue was creating the ash texture. This took me a very long time to master. Below is the previous versions of this artefact which I felt were unsuccessful:










No comments:

Post a Comment