Wednesday 3 April 2013

Artefact 3 - Depression (planning)


For my 3rd artefact I have decided to create a depressing mood to the bedroom that I created. I discussed this artefact idea within my tutorial and gained some really good ideas on how to create a depressing atmosphere in a bedroom. Some of the ideas that I thought of are that the bedroom should be slightly messy to show that the person living there doesn’t care about presentation, and there is bigger things on his mind. 

To create this messy environment I have thought about modelling alcohol bottles and placing them around the bedroom e.g on the floor and bed. Once I thought about some of these ideas I decided to research into depression itself and I came across some interesting facts:

“Depression is more than simply feeling unhappy or fed up for a few days. We all go through spells of feeling down, but when you're depressed you feel persistently sad for weeks or months, rather than just a few days.”  - NHS -http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Depression/Pages/Introduction.aspx


This shows that depression can be a long lasting feeling which will show in my artefact that the bedroom would have been in messy circumstances for quite some time.

Another interesting article I came across about depression is that people suffer different types of depression.

“Winter depression is still a mystery to scientists who study it. Many things, including brain chemicals, ions in the air, and genetics seem to be involved. But researchers agree that people who suffer from winter depression -- also known as "seasonal affective disorder," a term that produces the cute acronym SAD -- have one thing in common. They're particularly sensitive to light, or the lack of it.” http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/seasonal-affective-disorder

This could show that the person that occupies this room gets depressed in the winter or night times as they could be sensitive to light or the lack of it. These are some of the ideas that I want to incorporate into my artefact.      

No comments:

Post a Comment